Smiles are Cute

 There are two opposing forces that I imagine on the facial expression spectrum. On one side, there are smiles. On the other, there are frowns. 

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping with my parents. I clumsily took a few steps back while walking, not aware of a shopping cart that was behind me. When it bumped me, I flinched and looked back to see who my bumper was. It was a small girl. The moment we made eye contact she drew the biggest smile ever. It was the brightest thing I had ever seen. Maybe I was already in a good mood and the smile just made form of my mood and gave it a definition. But I think it has more to do with how pretty her smile was.


On the other side, one of the worst faces I remember seeing was a mirror selfie frown. Or was it a scowl? I don't know. The face had contorted in puzzling ways that were so ugly, I could throw up. It felt like someone was stabbing me with a gaze that was not even directed at me. The eyes were dead, tired and spiteful. I could feel pure hatred coming out of that gaze. The face and the lips felt as though they were pale, Maybe it was the lighting, but it looked like I was looking at a corpse. An ugly spiteful corpse. Maybe I'm overexaggerating, but by god that face was one of nightmares. I have never been more hurt seeing such a face in my life.. Until I saw it again. Frowns are the worst silent weapon. They are lethal, sharp and destructive. Without a word, you've dug a wound so deep into my soul. 


 Frowns usually distress me. I am not sure why they do. But the little kid that lives in my heart cage dislikes them so much, I am forced to intervene with whoever is making that face just to make sure I can do anything about it. More like make sure it's not directed at me. 


In any case, cheers to more smiles and less frowns. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A love letter to small youtubers

Lost Verdania and Shellwood